Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesdays with Moon

This was an official No Gas Tuesday but last Monday could almost qualify. That day I walked about three miles the got on the bus to come home. It's way too hot to be hoofin' to far around here. I did eventually drive my car but only a short distance to the market. Tuesday, I was true to my challenge and ran a few errands sans the automobile. I must be diligent as I was reminded by one of my neighbors she reads my blog and I'd hate to get caught. Plus, I try to be true to myself, if nothing else.

Anyone who's been to a Panera Bread Cafe knows why I want to walk there. Man, there's a bunch of calories just lurking inside and since it's only about three miles it is within my range. The morning was still cool so I decided instead of getting the bus at the corner I'd walk. It was a very pleasant morning and, though I thought it was nice, I never saw another person walking until I got to the shopping area. Shame. They, the general lazy-ass public, don't know what they're missing. It's so easy to be snide when you are actually doing something physical--for a change.

Only about a block away from the house and I realized neglecting my hat was a big mistake. I get tired of the baseball cap but if I don't wear something I usually burn my scalp. My hair is short to begin with and of late is getting a little thin on top. What I need is a little brimless cap to wear but don't think it's proper for a woman to wear a yamaka. Mervyn's and Target had nothing so I headed on to Panera's for a yummy Asiago cheese bagel, ice tea and the morning paper. Life is great when you have time.

The rest of the trip was quite uneventful, did some shopping, only one bag to carry back, and then caught the bus home. I relish the last leg of my trip as the bus is air-conditioned and never crowded and usually someone to chat with. This day I met a young woman with halting English but a desire to communicate. She had a need to practice her English. With my very limited Spanish we accomplished a conversation. She cleans houses, has two boys and is from Guatemala and before her stop neatly wrote her name and phone number on a little slip of paper in case I'd need her services. I love this country.

Our ancestors came from other countries, Scot/Irish and Spanish/Maltese, and I'm sure there was a time in their lives when they thought it better to leave their native country and make a better life for their families knowing how difficult that would be. I always wonder if I'd have the guts to do just that. Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment