Monday, December 04, 2006

I'm not asking to win the lotto, just for a little rain

The winds have calmed down this evening and that's gotta be better for the firefighters on the Moorpark fire. The fire raged in the strong winds on Sunday, darling husband saw smoke just west of us, but we knew little since we have no local TV coverage. My sister from Florida called to check on us, it made the network news.

Scary thing our California brush fires, they can spread in a moment fanned on by the horrible winds. Sixty-five mile per hour winds that shake the house and every atom in your body makes everyone a bit jumpy, including the dog.

We live in a small valley with dry hillsides nearby so every time the wind kicks up we think of the worst. 2003 was the closest it has come to the house in the 34 years we've lived here, too close for me. A serious water problem just waiting to happen and they still build more homes in the hillsides. I know, that's the price you pay for living here.

So everyone, let's think of rain. Not flooding gully-washers just little puddles in the street, maybe a bit of snow at higher elevations, but some moisture. A soft rain that washes the streets clean and waters the hillsides would be nice, but not at "drive time," we don't want accidents. We did invent the Sigalert in Los Angeles and it has something to do with us not knowing how to drive in inclement weather. Don't let anyone tell you different, Californios can't drive in the rain. It scares us, we have to phone someone, and then that's when the fun begins--red flashing lights and tow-trucks.


1 comment:

  1. I just remembered when we moved to CT and I had to take a drivers test and hand over my CA drivers license, the DMV dud asked where did you learn to drive? I told him CA, he said figures. I sat in the car and cried. No wonder I hated CT.

    ReplyDelete