Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Things I've never tried before


When we, a friend and I, were planning our trip to the Southern part of the US I thought I'd be eating all the typical local fare. My grandmother was a fantastic cook and make fried chicken, chicken fried steak, biscuits, and all smothered with gravy. Yeah, we got that and it was all terrific.

Here are two items I'd never had, boiled peanuts and Brunswick Stew. The peanuts look wet and soggy and had the texture of a cooked bean but were salty and a bit addictive.

The Brunswick Stew was an odd concoction of ground pork and chicken cooked with tomatoes and some corn kernels thrown in. Not a huge amount of flavor but not as horrible as it looked.

We tried both in a tiny old BBQ place in Macon, GA; Satterfield's. They were quite nice to us Yankees and when we said we'd never tried either brought a sample to the table. That was what stands out in my mind, how nice most people were in the South.

Not finding anything interesting in Macon we headed to Savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment