Friday, June 19, 2009

When parents die

So many times when adversity visits a friend I can't say, yes I know what you are going through because I don't. I don't have Cancer. I've not lost my job. My child is alive. I can only be a witness to the pain and hold a hand or lend an ear. I guess you could call me lucky in that respect. Sure, I've had adversities but none so powerful as the loss of your mother and this is the journey a good friend is experiencing right now.

Both my parents lived to an age where you wouldn't say they died young but any age is difficult to lose your parents. The title daughter isn't something you earn it is bestowed on you by your parents and, eventually, it is them that takes it away.

Death steals from the living and hopefully, gives peace to the dying. So to all my dear friends who've lost that title I wish peace as well.

Di, Ingrid, Sandi, my darling sister, and now Kathleen your memory will never replace their presence but it will soothe your heart.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Well you have brought a tear to my eye. Your essay is beautifully written.... thank you very much.

    I miss both of my parents beyond what words can say, they were loving and proud of me. By example, they have given me a strength for facing the difficulties, and I only hope that I can live up to it.

    Having family and good friends such as yourself, help take away some of the sting of the past days.

    ReplyDelete