Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My birthday is a movable feast

For those friends who don't know this, my birthday is really in December but I celebrate it in June. You see, having a birthday close to Christmas is a pain. My mom was always good enough to try and make it fun but the weekend before Christmas, who has time? As an adult, it was even worse I was busy and my Mom, mother-in-law, and grandmother all had to be born during that season. So I had an idea.

When I was about to turn thirty, six months prior, I told my family, I'll age myself six months if I can celebrate in June. Everyone was quite agreeable with this, even my father. The only holdout was his mother who insisted in sending a card in December.

When I retired from my last job I told everyone this story, they were amazed. I never thought it was a big deal. My only problem is I never thought about what else was going on, Father's Day. Sometimes it even fell on the same day, sheesh. Well, don't want to change it again, but I do enjoy having more time to enjoy my special day.

Our darling friends gave me a great party with food and family and friends. A strong emphasis on food. Abodanza! Appetizers, salad, soup, main course and to top it off, cupcakes.

Thanks to all who came and made it so special.

Editor's note: Recipe for the stuffed mushrooms are on Peanut Butter Étouffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment